Pages

Sunday, November 4, 2012

Junk Pumpkins




I picked up a bagful of these canning jar rims at a thrift store recently with the intention of making myself a wreath just like this:




However, I had a real hard time getting my rims to form a nice circle that would stay in place once it was hung up, so I abandoned the project for a while.  (my house is full of these abandoned and half done projects - hence the "abundance")

Sooo...one day when looking for some other junk treasure, I came across these rims again and a light bulb went off in my head - yup that's what it really seems like to me when inspiration strikes - a light bulb gets turned on and everything falls into place.  Is it like that for other people too or is it just me?

The things that came together for me were a bunch of pictures I'd seen of "pumpkins" made from wire and dryer venting and these poor abandoned rims.

So, in true recycling style, I found my stash of leftover and reclaimed clothing elastic and pulled out an old bra strap and tied those suckers together in a nice tight circle that stayed together beautifully.  

For a natural look I added a piece of tree branch and a metal leaf from an old light fixture that I also recycled.

If you plan on doing this project yourself these are the supplied you will need.


  1. 13 old canning jar rims
  2. 1 piece of elastic about 12" long, so you can tie it.
  3. One piece of tree branch about 3" long, about 1" in diameter
  4. Anything else you want to make it look more like a pumpkin
I had enough rims to make 2 in the bagful - total cost for this project was $.25  for 2.  That's right 25 cents!

Here is how I used them in my fall decor this year









Have an abundant day!

Diana



Linking with:


Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special
            


PS, Donna at Funky Junk was kind enough to point out another idea for this craft, you can find it:

2 comments:

  1. I just really really love your take on Simply Klassic Home's canning ring pumpkin! Original is at:

    http://www.simplyklassichome.com/2012/09/canning-jar-lid-pumpkin.html

    Thanks so much for the shout out too! Would you mind also adding the pumpkin link? I know they would really appreciate it!

    I hope you don't mind if i feature yours in the next SNS. :)

    Donna


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I am absolutely thrilled that you would feature me, I have been following your blog for over a year now, it is very inspirational! As a matter of fact I created this blog and did this post in a hurry just so I could get in on last weeks SNS. I hadn't seen Simply Klassic Home's original, so thank you for pointing that out to me, I would be more than happy to add the link.

      I will continue to add projects to your parties as they suit, and thank you so much!

      Diana

      Delete