Pages

Friday, November 30, 2012

THE laundry room door



I really like this door, and it's in our house!



It's the pocket door in the kitchen that goes to the laundry room - (obviously)

It used to be the 'front' door of the house.  My in laws had most of the original doors of our 1918 farmhouse stripped when they owned the farm and they are just too beautiful to throw out.  

When we renovated the front part of the house we planned on removing the closed in porch on the front of the house to replace it with an open veranda.  Since this door would no longer be "inside" the house we needed to replace it with one that was more weather tight.



There it is in its original location.  

There are not a whole lot of windows in our house so we want to take advantage of all the ones we have.  If we put a solid door in the laundry room we were going to lose all the light from the window in there when the door was closed, so we decided to reuse this door.  

However, it's a laundry room, so we wanted a way to block the view.


There is the door in place with the glass still clear, letting in all the light - and the view.
(how do you like our tin ceiling?  I'll post about that later)







My sister-in-law and brother own a sign company and I worked there, getting to know about the many vinyl products available, one of which is 'etched glass' vinyl.  I designed this for our door, cut and applied it myself, (which makes it special to me) but anyone could have this done by a sign company.


We saved some money by reusing the door, but more important, we preserved some of the history of our house.

Have an abundant day!
Diana

See me at:

2 comments: